May 10 (6:30 - 8:00 PM)
NW VEG and Adventist Medical Center present Dr. Alan Goldhamer, talking on "Escaping the Pleasure Trap" on Tuesday, May 10 at 6:30pm at the Adventist Medical Center (Amphitheater), 10123 SE Market St., Portland 97216. Doors open at 6pm. This event is free and open to the public, but pre-registration is strongly advised as seating is limited. Pre-register at this link. Free parking is also available.
Alan Goldhamer is the founder of the TrueNorth Health Center in California, and co-author of The Pleasure Trap, a groundbreaking book on why behaviors that were helpful to our distant evolutionary ancestors now make us susceptible to dietary and lifestyle excesses that are literally killing us with chronic disease. In his presentation, Dr. Goldhamer will talk about:
- The unexpected twist in the relationship between happiness and pleasure and why so many lives are ruined because of it.
- Why we're poorly equipped psychologically to understand that it's the excesses in our diets, not the deficiencies that are killing us, and how to overcome this mental blind spot.
- How the secret to maintaining optimum weight doesn't lie in how much you eat, but in what you eat.
- How to maintain your strength and integrity in the face of social pressure opposing healthy living.
- Why animal products are such tempting Pleasure Trap foods, and how to overcome those overwhelming cravings.
May 15 (5:00 - 8:00 PM)
Northwest VEG is very honored to have Jim Riungu of Kenya as our after-potluck speaker at the Eastside Portland Vegan Potluck - he'll be speaking on protecting elephants from poaching in Kenya. Jim is a prominent Attorney and Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with WildlifeDirect, a non-profit organization operating in Kenya to strengthen Kenya's response to wildlife crime. So, first come to the vegan potluck at 5 for great food, and then at 6:30, hear Jim talk about elephants. Or, just come to hear Jim. Jim Riungu is here in Oregon as the recipient of the first Animal Lawyers Without Borders Animal Law LL.M. Scholarship from the Center for Animal Law Studies at Lewis and Clark.
This event will be at the Friends Meeting Hall, 4312 SE Stark St., Portland, OR. Come to the potluck at 5:00, the presentation at 6:30, or both! Please bring a plant-based (no animal products, including honey) main dish, salad, or dessert; a card listing its ingredients; and plates and utensils for your use. Need plant-based ideas? Click here. If you come alone, figure the amount to serve 4-6 generously; increase the amount 4 servings for each additional person in your party/family. Northwest VEG potlucks are alcohol-free events, and we start eating at about 5:15. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org A donation of $2-5 per person is suggested to help cover the cost of the room rental.