Oregon Convention Center
Professional Presentations for Health Care Providers and the Community
The Northwest Health and Nutrition Conference is a golden opportunity for you to learn the latest information on plant-based nutrition, the effects of diet on chronic disease prevention and control, and about designing an optimum plant-based diet for patients and clients in a clinical setting. Interest in plant-based diets is growing, and Portland, Oregon has become a hub for that developing interest. This conference is designed for healthcare professionals, offering up to 6.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for many medical professionals (6.0 for dietitians), but others with strong interests in nutrition and health is welcome to attend.
- $119 - Early Bird ($149 Regular starting October 1, 2016)
- $109 - Member of Supporting Organization ($139 starting October 1, 2016)
- $75 - Student (proof of status required)
Neal Barnard, M.D. F.A.C.C
- Author of more than 70 scientific publications and 15 books, including Power Foods for the Brain; Breaking the Food Seduction; Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes; and editor of A Nutrition Guide for Clinicians
- Founder and President of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- President of the Barnard Medical Center
As president of the Physicians Committee, Dr. Barnard leads programs advocating for preventive medicine, good nutrition, and higher ethical standards in research. He has hosted three PBS television programs on nutrition and health and is frequently called on by news programs to discuss issues related to nutrition and research.
Milton Mills, MD
How Plant-based Diets Improve the Interaction between the GI Tract and the Microbiome
- Practicing internist at Fairfax Hospital in Virginia and at urgent care and free clinics in Washington, D.C.
- Co-author of he Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine's (PCRM) report on Racial and Ethnic Bias in the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, and former Associate Director of Preventive Medicine with PCRM.
- Race & Nutrition Specialist and board adviser for A Well Fed World
Milton Mills, MD has specialized in internal medicine, HIV disease, and the relationship between nutrition and chronic diseases. He is extensively knowledgeable about the unique health care needs of minorities, the challenges of practicing medicine in inner cities, and the special medical and nutritional requirements of HIV+ and AIDS patients. He recommends plant-based eating to patients and audiences at hospitals, churches, and community centers around the country.
Dr. Mills graduated from Stanford University School of Medicine, serving as student body president of the medical school and Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor of the Stanford Medical School newspaper. He did his internship at the University of California-San Francisco, and his residency at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C.
Julieanna Hever, MS, RD
Transforming the Future of Healthcare
- Author of The Vegiterranean Diet and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition.
- Nutrition columnist for VegNews Magazine and co-author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking.
- Host of Z Living Network's What would Julieanna Do?.
From her private practice in Los Angeles, Julieanna counsels clients throughout the world with various nutritional and/or medical concerns. She has authored articles published in prominent journals, magazines, blogs, and newsletters. Julieanna served as a consultant for the Forks Over Knives documentary and some of her recipes are included in both Forks Over Knives books. As the, she brought whole food, plant-based nutrition to the forefront of efforts to improve the current global health crisis.
Julieanna received her Bachelor’s degree from UCLA and Masters of Science in Nutrition at California State University, Northridge, where she also completed her Dietetic Internship. She has taught as part of Dr. T. Colin Campbell’s eCornell Plant-Based Nutrition Certification Program, worked as a clinical dietitian at Century City Doctors Hospital, and has consulted for numerous businesses. See more at: plantbaseddietitian.com.
Alan Goldhamer, DC
Escaping the Pleasure Trap
- Founder of TrueNorth Health Center
- Co-author of The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that Undermines Health and Happiness
- Principal investigator in two studies on the impacts of medically-supervised water-only fasting on hypertension.
Dr. Goldhamer will describe how humans can succumb to the “pleasure trap”, when junk food, pain-relieving medicines, and recreational drugs short-circuit the natural connection between happiness and pleasure-seeking behavior. He will then outline steps we can take to help patients and clients make health-promoting choices as convenient as possible. See more at www.healthpromoting.com
Brooke Goldner, MD
- Board-certified physician in psychiatry and neurology, specializing in treating depression, anxiety, and trauma
- Internationally-recognized expert in healing with plant-based nutrition
- Author of Goodbye Lupus: How a Medical Doctor Healed Herself Naturally with Supermarket Foods.
Dr. Goldner will speak in the connection between food and autoimmune diseases. Dr. Goldner herself was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Nephritis with stage IV kidney disease at age 16. At age 28 she developed a protocol for reversing lupus using supermarket foods, and since that time has been symptom-free. Dr. Goldner received her MD degree from Temple University. See more at VeganMedicalDoctor.com