Master VEG Program 2015 ScheduleAll classes will be Wednesday evenings, Feb. 18 to April 8, 2015, 6:00 to 8:45 pm. There will be a snack and social period before each class from 5:40-6:00pm. The 2015 classes will be held at the Pearl District Whole Foods Market located at 1210 NW Couch St in Portland.
Week 1: Class Introduction and Diet and Chronic Disease. February 18, 2015Chelsea Davis, Northwest VEG Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator and Peter Spendelow, Northwest VEG President
- Introduction to the program. Overview, logistics, schedules, and expectations.
Ole Ersson, M.D.
- Diet and chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and osteoporosis
Week 2: Vegan Nutrition. February 25, 2015Speaker TBA
- Basic nutrition concepts
- Discussion of vegan nutrition, including the vegan food groups.
- Address issues such as getting enough calcium, protein, B-12, Omega 3, fat.
Week 3: Food Choices and the Environment, plus Food Policy. March 4, 2015Peter Spendelow, Ph.D., Northwest VEG President
- Introduction to Ecological Footprints and food choices
- Environmental impact of plant and animal-based agriculture: water pollution, air pollution, animal agriculture and global warming, resource consumption, habitat loss, water conservation, use of toxic substances in agriculture.
- Other environmental aspects of food choices - buy local, buy seasonal, buy organic
- Food Policy.
Week 4: Animal Law and Animal Consciousness. March 11, 2015Peter Spendelow, Ph.D., Northwest VEG President
- An Introduction to Animal Consciousness and Awareness.
- Animal Law and Agriculture
Week 5: A New Species of Thought: Philosophy on the Rights of Animals, and Fish and Fishing. March 18, 2015Ramona Ilea, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, Pacific University
- Philosophical Perspectives on Animals.
- Fish and Fishing - What is happening in our oceans?
Week 6: Impacts of Animal Agriculture on Humans and cooking demo. March 25, 2015Marsha Rakestraw, Certified Humane Educator
- Impacts of Animal Agriculture on Humans.
Week 7: The Lives of Farm Animals. April 1, 2015.Marsha Rakestraw, Certified Humane Educator
Dr. John and Kit Collins, owners of Out to Pasture Farm Sanctuary
Week 8: Living as a Vegan and Effective Activism. April 8, 2015.Chelsea Davis, Northwest VEG Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator
- Effective vegan activism and communication
- Group discussion on "Tips for Vegan Living"
- Discussion of possibilities for volunteer opportunities for serving the 16 hours needed for earning the Master VEG Certificate.
- Course wrap-up
Field trips:Out to Pasture Farm Sanctuary Private tour and work party (hours will go towards MVP certificate)
When: Saturday, April 11 or 18 @ 1:00-4:00pm
Where: 33190 SE Regan Hill Rd, Estacada, OR 97023
Tour of Bob's Red Mill and dinner at Whole Grain Store
Where: 13521 Southeast Pheasant Court, Milwaukie, OR (map)
Ayers Creek Farm hosted by owner Anthony Boutard
When: Saturday, February 28 @ 10am-12pm
Where: 15219 Springhill Road, Gaston, Oregon (directions and map)