|Recipe of the month: Raw breakfast smoothie|
|September 1, 2009|
Wendy Gabbe Day, NW VEG Coordinator
I've looked through a bunch of smoothie recipes and hadn't found one that uses raw buckwheat groats. Well, look no further! It may sound a bit funny to use raw buckwheat in a smoothie, but it turns out rich, creamy, fruity and delicious.
- 1/2-cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/3-cup raw nuts
- 4 medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 cup water
- 1-1.5 cups water
- 2 frozen bananas (chopped)
- 1.5 cups frozen fruit (chopped)
Yield: 2 servings
- Soak buckwheat and nuts together overnight (or 4-8 hours) in water.
- Soak dates in water overnight.
- Strain and rinse thoroughly buckwheat and nuts. Place in blender.
- Add dates and date water to blender. Blend thoroughly.
- Add remaining 3 ingredients. Blend until smooth.
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com
Click here for the latest news.