|Recipe of the month: Orange chocolate bean cake|
|March 1, 2010|
Wendy Gabbe Day, NW VEG Coordinator
Who said you couldn't have your cake and eat your beans, too? My new favorite flour to work with is garbanzo bean flour. It adds a nice rich and hearty texture to baked goods. The chocolate and orange flavors really shine through in this recipe, and I swear no one will know they are eating beans and brown rice flour, too! The beauty is you can enjoy these beans and grains for dessert or as a meal... or both!
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup Sucanat (or unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup each: cocoa powder and chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almonds (or other nuts)
- 2 apples
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest
Yield: 12 cupcakes or 6 bundt cakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a 6-bundt pan or a 12-muffin tin.
- In a bowl, combine the first eight dry ingredients (up to and including the salt).
- Blend the almonds into a coarse flour.
- Core the apples (leave skins on) and blend with the almonds, water, and orange juice concentrate until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones, sprinkle in the freshly grated orange zest, and mix until just combined.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com
Click here for the latest news.