|Recipe of the Month: Raspberry Lemon Scones |
|May 28, 2010|
Wendy Gabbe Day, NW VEG Coordinator
These scones are great for breakfast or a snack any time of day. They have a rich maple and lemon flavor, but aren't too sweet. These scones are oil-free, and get their light texture from the oat and garbanzo bean flours. Feel free to add any berries you have on hand!
ABOUT 18 SCONES
- 1 3/4 cups oat flour*
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almonds (or other nuts)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Lightly oil a 13 x 18-inch (or similar size) baking sheet.
3. In a bowl, combine the first five dry ingredients.
4. In a blender, blend the almonds into a coarse flour. It's ok if it all sticks together.
5. Add the remaining wet ingredients (except raspberries) and blend until smooth.
6. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix thoroughly. Stir in the raspberries.
7. The batter should be very thick. Sprinkle in additional flour if the batter is too loose.
8. Shape dough into long triangles (scones), or thick rounds.
9. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.
*Blend about 1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons of rolled oats in a blender until the flour is as fine as possible (about 20 seconds) or use pre-ground oat flour.
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com>.
Click here for the latest news.