|Vegan Peppermint Bark|
|November 29, 2010|
- 2 (12-ounce) bags dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed vegan candy canes
- 2 (12-ounce) bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup chunks vegan candy cane
1. Cover a 9" x 13" baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
2. Use a double boiler, if possible, to melt the dark chocolate chips. Once melted, add in the crushed candy canes. If you crush the candy canes into little crystal-like pieces, they add flavor to the chocolate. After mixing the chocolate and candy canes together, pour them evenly on the wax paper and put in the fridge to cool for about 20 minutes.
3. While the first layer is cooling, start melting the semisweet chocolate. Once melted, add the peppermint extract.
4. Take the cooled chocolate out of the fridge and pour the semisweet layer on. Spread it evenly and add the larger chunks of candy cane on top. Put back in the fridge for another 20 minutes, and you’ve got peppermint bark!
The amount of peppermint extract and size/amount of candy canes is up to what your taste buds prefer. This is a good vegan alternative to the white chocolate peppermint bark seen around the holidays. Finding vegan candy canes can be a little difficult, so gather your ingredients ahead of time. You can find the vegan chocolate at various stores including Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.
Preparation time: approx. 40 minutes
Click here for the latest news.