December 28, 2010
Wendy Gabbe Day, Contributing Writer
It's so fun and easy to make homemade granola! Especially without all of the added fat and sugar. This granola is perfect with non-dairy milk, on top of fresh fruit and non-dairy yogurt, or by the handful!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut shreds (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water*
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Lightly oil a 13 x 18-inch (or similar size) baking sheet.
3. In a bowl, combine the first four dry ingredients.
4. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining five wet ingredients and heat on low until liquefied.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ones and mix thoroughly.
6. Spread evenly on the baking sheet.
7. Bake 20 minutes, then stir. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool to crisp up.
* If you’d like a more dessert-like granola, replace the water with an additional 1/4 cup maple syrup.
Yields: About 5 cups
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com.