|Recipe of the Month: Wildly Simple Beans and Rice Bowl|
|March 31, 2011|
Here's a really simple bowl that is quite tasty, easy to prepare, and healthy, too. And if you make enough beans and rice, you can have them on hand for meals to come!
- 1.5 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 1/3-1/2 cup beans (black, pinto, kidney, etc.) (per person)
- 1-2 cups raw greens (kale, collard, etc.) (per person)
- 1 T oil (flax, hemp, sesame or olive) (per person)
- salt (to taste)
- salsa (to taste)
- avocado (to taste)
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com
- In a medium-sized pot, bring rice and water to a boil, turn down to low, and simmer for 50-55 minutes.
- Cook beans from scratch or open up a can.
- Wash and de-stem the greens. Then chop into smaller pieces.
- Steam or lightly saute the greens in a little water for 2-5 minutes. Toss beans in for the final minute if they are cold.
- Mix rice (1/2-1 cup) and beans in bowl and drizzle with oil and salt. Top with greens, salsa, and avocado.
Click here for the latest news.