March 31, 2011
Here's a really simple bowl that is quite tasty, easy to prepare, and healthy, too. And if you make enough beans and rice, you can have them on hand for meals to come!
- 1.5 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 1/3-1/2 cup beans (black, pinto, kidney, etc.) (per person)
- 1-2 cups raw greens (kale, collard, etc.) (per person)
- 1 T oil (flax, hemp, sesame or olive) (per person)
- salt (to taste)
- salsa (to taste)
- avocado (to taste)
- In a medium-sized pot, bring rice and water to a boil, turn down to low, and simmer for 50-55 minutes.
- Cook beans from scratch or open up a can.
- Wash and de-stem the greens. Then chop into smaller pieces.
- Steam or lightly saute the greens in a little water for 2-5 minutes. Toss beans in for the final minute if they are cold.
- Mix rice (1/2-1 cup) and beans in bowl and drizzle with oil and salt. Top with greens, salsa, and avocado.