|Vegan Danish Rice Pudding|
|May 31, 2011|
Being of Danish decent, every Christmas my mother makes traditional Danish rice pudding and every year I sit and watch as my family devour it. Well, I finally veganized our family recipe and dare I say think that it is even better than the original! It's so good I'm contemplating a new family tradition of making it for every holiday.
Almond Whipped "Cream"
- 1 ½ cups raw almonds
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 5 T unrefined sugar
- 2 tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place almonds in a jar or bowl and fill with water. Soak 4-8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Put everything in a blender and blend until very smooth. Add more water if needed to blend.
- Put cream in a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold.
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked) (basmati or long grain)
- 4 cups almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 3 ½ T unrefined sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
How to Combine:
- Rinse rice and add to a sauce pan with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover, bring to a boil, turn to low and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and place porridge in a glass container and refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.
- When both cream and porridge are cold put a scoop of each in a small bowl and mix using a fork to thoroughly incorporate. Place in a larger bowl.
- In small bowl repeat process with remaining cream and porridge, and add to larger bowl.
- Stir all together and add more almond extract or sugar if desired.
- For fun, hide a blanched almond in your rice pudding and serve.
By Chelsea Davis
Click here for the latest news.