|Recipe of the Month: Tempeh Veggie Tacos|
|June 14, 2011|
This taco filling is very low fat as no oil is added! Serve on corn tortillas with Spanish Brown Rice, and top with chopped tomatoes, avocados, and salsa.
- 8 oz tempeh (finely chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon each: chili powder and cumin
- ½ teaspoon each: paprika and salt
- 2-3 cups veggies (chopped) (i.e. zucchini, bell pepper, carrot, etc.)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (optional)
Servings: about 4
- Place all of the ingredients (except 2-3 cups chopped veggies and lime juice) into a non-stick skillet, cover, and place on medium heat. Once it is steaming away, stir, and place on medium-low.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring a few times. If it is sticking to the bottom of the skillet, add a few more tablespoons water to the skillet, as needed.
- Add the chopped veggies, stir to combine. Cook 10-15 minutes (covered) until the veggies are thoroughly cooked, stirring a few times.
- Remove the cover, add the lime juice, stir, and cook a few extra minutes if there is extra moisture to steam off.
Spanish Brown Rice (Oil-free)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 heaping Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon salt
Servings: about 6-8
- Place all of the ingredients in a medium-sized pot and stir to combine. Place on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn to low, cover, and cook for 55 minutes, without lifting the lid. Check to make sure all of the water has been absorbed. If not, cook 5-10 minutes longer.
- Once all the water is absorbed, stir thoroughly.
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com
Click here for the latest news.