June 14, 2011
This taco filling is very low fat as no oil is added! Serve on corn tortillas with Spanish Brown Rice, and top with chopped tomatoes, avocados, and salsa.
- 8 oz tempeh (finely chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon each: chili powder and cumin
- ½ teaspoon each: paprika and salt
- 2-3 cups veggies (chopped) (i.e. zucchini, bell pepper, carrot, etc.)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients (except 2-3 cups chopped veggies and lime juice) into a non-stick skillet, cover, and place on medium heat. Once it is steaming away, stir, and place on medium-low.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring a few times. If it is sticking to the bottom of the skillet, add a few more tablespoons water to the skillet, as needed.
- Add the chopped veggies, stir to combine. Cook 10-15 minutes (covered) until the veggies are thoroughly cooked, stirring a few times.
- Remove the cover, add the lime juice, stir, and cook a few extra minutes if there is extra moisture to steam off.
Spanish Brown Rice (Oil-free)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 heaping Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a medium-sized pot and stir to combine. Place on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn to low, cover, and cook for 55 minutes, without lifting the lid. Check to make sure all of the water has been absorbed. If not, cook 5-10 minutes longer.
- Once all the water is absorbed, stir thoroughly.
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com