March 1, 2012
Homemade Pad Thai - oh my! If you're looking to create your own veggie-rich, low-fat, whole-grain version of Pad Thai, this is the recipe for you. Check out more recipes created by Veg Food & Fit.
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 medjool dates
- 1 Tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup water
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, adding a little water to start, and blend until smooth. Add as much water as needed to create a smooth consistency (texture of molasses).
- Set aside until stir fry is done cooking.
- 10 oz. brown rice pasta (pad thai noodles or spaghetti)
- 2-3 cups chopped veggies (i.e. carrots, broccoli, etc.)
- 10-12 oz. firm tofu (cubed)
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (i.e. cashews, peanuts, or almonds)
- Cook pasta according to directions. Strain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, add sesame oil, veggies, and tofu to skillet and stir fry on medium heat for 10 minutes (or until veggies are cooked to your liking). Add a little water to skillet, if needed, to keep veggies from sticking to the skillet.
- Once veggies are done, add pasta and sauce to skillet, mix together, and heat thoroughly.
- After serving, top with chopped nuts.