May 30, 2012
Have you been searching for a tasty treat that is both kid and parent friendly? Well look no further! These bars have been kid tested and parent approved! Enjoy!
- 1/2 c brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 1/4 c maple syrup or agave
- 1 c crunchy peanut butter (if unsalted, you can add 1/4 tsp of salt)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c crispy rice cereal
- 1 c puffed millet cereal
- 2 c quick oats
- 1 c non-dairy dark chocolate chips
- 3 T non-dairy milk
- optional additions: coconut, dried fruit, seeds, nuts
1. Heat sweeteners in a small saucepan on medium until warm.
2. Add peanut butter and stir while continuing to heat until well combined.
3. Stir in vanilla and turn off heat.
4. In a large bowl, combine the puffed rice, millet and oats.
5. Pour warm liquid over dry ingredients and combine thoroughly.
6. Pour mixture into a 9x9 baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish.
7. In a separate small saucepan, heat the chocolate chips and non-dairy milk on low and stir until melted.
8. Pour chocolate sauce on granola bars and spread evenly.
9. Place baking dish in fridge for at least an hour to harden before cutting into bars.
Yields: 25 bars
Concocted by Chelsea Davis, Northwest VEG Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator