|Rawking Nacho Kale Chips|
|April 1, 2013|
by Chelsea Davis, Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator and VEG 101 cooking instructor for Northwest VEG
These deliciously crunchy nutrient packed snacks are perfect for anytime of the day and loved by all. If you don't believe us, just try them. We bet you will be on your way to the store for more kale before the oven has even had a chance to cool down.
Rawking Nacho Kale Chips:
1. Rinse kale, remove stems, tear into bite size pieces and dry in salad spinner.
- 2 bunches of Kale (curly and/or purple)
- 2c Nachyour Mama’s Cheeze Sauce (recipe below)
2. Put half of the kale into a large bowl and pour 1c sauce over it.
3. With your hands, massage the leaves until they are saturated with cheesy goodness.
4. Lay evenly on a mesh dehydrator sheet.
5. Repeat steps 2-4
6. Dehydrate your kale for 6-8 hours on 105 degrees or until crispy. Flip kale half way through to ensure even dehydration.
7. If you don’t have a dehydrator you can bake the kale at 150 degrees for 10 hours. Or if you are the impatient type, you can bake them at 275 for roughly 20 minutes.
Makes 7 cups
Nachyour Mama’s Cheeze Sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender (reserving 1 cup of water) and process on high for 1 minute.
- 3c filtered water
- 2c raw cashews
- 2c nutritional yeast
- 1 16oz jar roasted red peppers with juice
- ¼c arrowroot
- 3 T yellow mustard
- 3 T lemon
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
2. Add the last cup of water and continue blending until smooth.
3. Pour a desired amount into a small sauce pan, heat on medium and stir continuously until it has thickened. You may add a little water if needed.
4. Store the unused cheeze in jars and refrigerate immediately. The cheese can also be frozen but be sure to leave an inch of space from the top of the jar.
Makes 8 cups
Click here for the latest news.