|Recipe of the Month: Gravy and Garlicky Smashed Cauliflower|
|October 31, 2013|
By Chelsea Davis, Northwest VEG Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator and Wendy Gabbe Day, Northwest VEG Board Member
Just in time for the holidays! Impress your loved ones and friends with this healthy, compassionate and delicious rendition of mashed potatoes and gravy.
Turkey Friendly Gravy (fat free!)
1c garbanzo beans (cooked)
1c vegetable broth (low sodium)
½c onion (chopped)
2T tamari soy sauce (low sodium)
1 tsp chopped garlic (heaping)
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp rubbing sage
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in your blender and process on high until smooth.
2. Pour into small sauce pan on medium heat and stir consistently until it has thickened.
3. Serve immediately over Garlicky Smashed Cauliflower (recipe below).
Garlicky Smashed Cauliflower
By Chelsea Davis, Northwest VEG Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator
2 heads of cauliflower
¼c veggie broth (low sodium)
¼c non-dairy milk such as almond milk
2T Earth Balance
1T roasted garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1. Place cauliflower florets in a covered large pot with the veggie broth and non-dairy milk on medium and cook until very tender.
2. Transfer the contents of the pot (including liquid) to your food processor and process until smooth.
3. Add the Earth Balance, roasted garlic, sea salt and black pepper and continue to process for 3-5 minutes until desired consistency is reached.
Click here for the latest news.