January 4, 2014
By Wendy Gabbe Day, NW VEG Board Member and Veg Kids Cooking Instructor
These delicious little cookies are oil-free, full of whole-grain brown rice flour, and sweetened with dates. Not exactly your typical chocolate chip cookie! Please check out the Veg Kids cooking classes for more whole-food recipes for the whole family.
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut shreds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup dates (pitted and packed)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the first six dry ingredients.
- In a blender, blend last four ingredients until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix thoroughly.
- Form dough into balls and flatten on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the bottom is golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet to firm up before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Yields: about 25 cookies