|Recipe of the Month: Apple Walnut Spice Muffins|
|December 29, 2009|
Wendy Gabbe Day, NW VEG Coordinator
These apple muffins are hardy, satisfying, and moist. Feel free to add more spices for extra kick.
- 3 cups oat flour or 3 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t salt, nutmeg and cardamom
- 2 medium apples
- 1 3/4 cups water
Yield: 12 muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 12-muffin tin.
- Process the rolled oats in a blender or use pre-ground oat flour.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a blender, place the apples (remove cores and leave skins on) and blend with the water until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix until just combined.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until muffin tops are golden.
For more recipes like this, check out www.vegfoodandfit.com
Note: If your gluten-free muffins are coming out very dense, try checking your baking powder freshness. Combine 1 teaspoon baking powder with 1/3 cup hot water. The mixture should bubble vigorously.
Click here for the latest news.