Northwest VEG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Portland, OR that works to educate and encourage people to make vegan choices for a healthy, sustainable, and compassionate world.
Healthy Habits recommended by The VeganRD
- Eat legumes.
- 3+ servings per day of beans, tofu, tempeh, soy nuts, peanuts, peanut butter, soymilk, veggie meats.
- Choose healthy fats.
- Essential omega-3 fats from flaxseed, hempseed, walnuts, or flax, hemp, walnut, soy, canola oil.
- Consider a supplement of DHA and EPA from microalgae.
- Nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, vegetable oils provide healthy fats.
- Take appropriate supplements.
- 600 - 1000 IUs of vitamin D daily.
- 25-100 micrograms of vitamin B12 daily.
- Eat the rainbow.
- Eat vitamin C-rich foods to improve iron absorption: Citrus fruits, strawberries, green leafy vegetables, peppers, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes.
- Get adequate calcium.
- Calcium-set tofu, soybeans, fortified plant milks, almond butter, tahini, fortified juices, figs, navel oranges, bok choy, kale, and collards.
- Enjoy a variety of vegan foods.
- Focus on whole plant foods.
- Opt for convenience when necessary.
- Celebrate Veganism - guaranteed compassion.