Oregon Convention Center
8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Professional Presentations for Health Care Providers and the Community
The Northwest Health and Nutrition Conference is a golden opportunity for you to learn the latest information on plant-based nutrition, the effects of diet on chronic disease prevention and control, and about designing an optimum plant-based diet for patients and clients in a clinical setting. Interest in plant-based diets is growing, and Portland, Oregon has become a hub for that developing interest. This conference is designed for healthcare professionals, offering up to 6.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for many medical professionals (6.0 for dietitians), but others with strong interests in nutrition and health are welcome to attend.
- $135 - Early Bird ($165 Regular starting September 14, 2017)
- $115 - Member of Supporting Organization ($145 starting September 14, 2017)
- $75 - Student (proof of status required)
- Author of more than 140 scientific publications and two books: The Whole Heart Solution and Dead Execs Don’t Get Bonuses
- Clinical Professor of Medicine at Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Founder of the Kahn Center for Cardiac Longevity
- Chief Operating Officer of the Cook County Department of Public Health, responsible for operations, direction, and planning for public health, and disease prevention.
- Practicing urologist for 22 years, specializing in prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction
- Weekly radio host of A Doctor In The House on WVON Radio 1690, and featured in the film Forks Over Knives
- Author of The Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book and co-author of The Dietitian's Guide to Vegetarian Diets
- Co-author of the 2003 and 2009 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics position papers of vegetarian diets
- Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Nutrition in the School of Public Health and Health Sciences at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Founder and Director, Health Care Is Self Care LLC.
- Co-author of The Engine 2 Seven Day Rescue Diet, The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook, and Plant-Strong
- Coordinator, Prevent and Reverse Heart DIsease for Women Conference. (2016 and 2017)
- Practice lead for ZOOM+Prime in Portland, Oregon
- Co-developer and former physician lead of the Northwest Permanente Healthy Living Program at Kaiser Permanente
- Staff physician and educator at the McDougall Program‘s 8-day, live-in programs.
- Call-in: 1-800-996-0510 and mention the group VegFest to receive the group rooms and rates.
- Online: www.doubletreeportland.com, use the Group Code VF7 under “Add Special Rate Code” when making reservations online for the group rooms and rates to populate.
- Room rates are $199/night for a standard queen bed, and $229/night for two queen beds or a king, up through September 11, 2017.
Joel Kahn, MD, FACC
The Miracle of Heart Disease Reversal
One of the world’s top cardiologists, Dr. Joel Kahn has treated thousands of acute heart attacks during his career. HIs long-term experience has lead him to combine the best of western medicine and nutritional and complimentary therapies for prevention and total healing. He now has launched a campaign to prevent 1 million heart attacks through healthy living.
Terry Mason, MD
Dr. Mason earned his MD at the University of Illinois, and has treated thousands of patients during his 22 years as a practicing urologist. Bothered by the fact that his treatments were just treating the symptoms rather than getting at the underlying cause of the disease - an unhealthy lifestyle - Dr. Mason decided to transition to the public health arena. He became the Commissioner for Public Health for the City of Chicago in 2005, and then became the System Chief Medical Officer with the Cook County Health and Hospital System 2009 to present, and the Chief Operating Officer of the Cook County Department of Public Health since 2013.
Reed Mangels, PhD, RD
Healthy Nutrition for Infants, Children, and Pregnant Women
Dr. Mangels is a well-published researcher and dietetics professor specializing in vegetarian and vegan nutrition, and is best known fo her research regarding vegan and vegetarian nutrition for infants and children.
Jane Esselstyn, RN
The Benefits of Eating a Plant-Based Diet, Above and Below the Belt
Jane has worked as a science, outdoor, and health educator for over 28 years, and brings a vivacious energy to her talks and is an eager proponent of women’s health as it relates to a plant-based diet. Like many in the Esselstyn family, Jane presents her work, research, and high energy food demos across the country and world.
Craig McDougall, MD
Counseling Patients on Optimal Diet and Lifestyle Changes
Dr. McDougall is a board-certified internist who completed his residency at Oregon Health & Science University after obtaining his MD from the Ohio State University College of Medicine. His practice at Zoom+ features a 90-day personalized health coaching service, with an emphasis on increasing daily movement and moving towards a plant-based diet in order to reduce or reverse chronic disease.
Friday, October 13, 2017
|8:45-10:00||Terry Mason, MD:|
|10:15-11:30||Reed Mangels, PhD, RD: Healthy Nutrition for Infants, Children, and Pregnant Women|
|11:45-1:00||Craig McDougall, MD: Counseling Patients on Optimal Diet and Lifestyle Changes.|
|2:15-3:30||Jane Esselstyn, RN: The Benefits of Eating a Plant-Based Diet, Above and Below the Belt|
|3:45-5:00||Joel Kahn, MD, FACC: The Miracle of Heart Disease Reversal|
Please help us spread the word about this conference.
There is no hotel directly at the Convention Center, so we have reserved a block of rooms at the DoubleTree, on the MAX line about 6 blocks east of the Convention Center:
DoubleTree by Hilton
1000 NE Multnomah
Portland, OR 97232