May 1 (2:00 - 3:00 PM)
Wayne Pacelle will be joined with Rep. Earl Blumenauer in a conversation about Wayne's new book, The Humane Economy: How Innovators and Enlightened Consumers are Transforming the Lives of Animals. Pacelle and Blumenauer will discuss how we can, and are, moving our economy from one that horribly exploits animals to a more humane economy that takes in interests of animals to heart. Jane Goodall calls this book “an essential read.”
Join Wayne and Rep. Blumenauer at Powell's City of Books, 1005 W Burnside, Portland, at 2 pm this Sunday for his exciting and enlightening discussion. Click here for Facebook's event page.
May 10 (6:30 - 8:00 PM)
NW VEG and Adventist Medical Center present Dr. Alan Goldhamer, talking on "Escaping the Pleasure Trap" on Tuesday, May 10 at 6:30pm at the Adventist Medical Center (Amphitheater), 10123 SE Market St., Portland 97216. Doors open at 6pm. This event is free and open to the public, but pre-registration is strongly advised as seating is limited. Pre-register at this link. Free parking is also available.
Alan Goldhamer is the founder of the TrueNorth Health Center in California, and co-author of The Pleasure Trap, a groundbreaking book on why behaviors that were helpful to our distant evolutionary ancestors now make us susceptible to dietary and lifestyle excesses that are literally killing us with chronic disease. In his presentation, Dr. Goldhamer will talk about:
- The unexpected twist in the relationship between happiness and pleasure and why so many lives are ruined because of it.
- Why we're poorly equipped psychologically to understand that it's the excesses in our diets, not the deficiencies that are killing us, and how to overcome this mental blind spot.
- How the secret to maintaining optimum weight doesn't lie in how much you eat, but in what you eat.
- How to maintain your strength and integrity in the face of social pressure opposing healthy living.
- Why animal products are such tempting Pleasure Trap foods, and how to overcome those overwhelming cravings.